Installation general info, handy & best practices, here we go !!!! most comman error you can get. Easy to click and easy to solve jerk.
MS SQL Server 2008 / 2008 R2
- 2020443 – How to upgrade an expired installation of SQL Server 2008 Evaluation Edition to a retail version of SQL Server 2008.
- 969985 – How to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server on a computer that has SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 installed.
- 970669 – SQL Server 2008 specific folders are created on systems with SQL Server 2005 starting SP3 and above to prevent upgrade failures to SQL Server 2008 at a later time.
- 976448 – Install and enable the MapPoint SQL Server add-in.
- SQL Server 2008, creating a merged (slipstreamed) drop
- How to fix your SQL Server 2008 Setup before you run setup
MS SQL Server 2008 / 2008 R2 installation problems
- 955763 – The SQL Server Agent service does not start after you upgrade from SQL Server 2008 Express or from SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services to SQL Server 2008 Developer, to SQL Server 2008 Enterprise, or to SQL Server 2008 Standard.
- SQL Server 2005 and 2008 versions may not detect all available processors on a machine with more than 64 logical processors
- 2251397 – SQL Server 2008 setup hangs on a x64 system with more than 32 logical processors.
- 2216465 – Slipstream installation of SQL Server 2008 fails if the /PCUSOURCE or /CUSOURCE has a space in the path.
- 2008982 – You are repeatedly prompted to restart the computer when installing SQL Server 2008.
- 2000225 – Error message when you install SQL Server 2008 Service pack 1 on systems upgraded from Windows 2003: “SQL server 2008 Setup requires Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 SP2 to be installed”
- 970667 – SQL Server 2008 setup may fail with “Setup Failure in SetupActionName: cusetfeatureinstallstateaction” error message
- 970771 – SQL Server 2008 setup may fail with an unknown exception on MSVCR80.DLL
- 981157 – The SQL Server 2008 installation fails and corrupts the SQL Server 2008 R2 installation
- 958655 – Error message when you use Windows Installer (MSI) 4.5 to install multiple MSI packages in Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP: “API call rejected – No actions in Context” likely to be encountered during the installation of SQL Server 2008 or during an upgrade from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008.
Very well known problems in all editions:
64-bit specific issues (OS and MS SQL Server)
- 2009214 – Collection sets running under proxy account will fail in WOW environment
Backup and restore issues
- 2297053 – Behavior of compressed backups when appending backups to an existing media set
- 2014054 – Backing up a SQL Server database using a VSS backup application may fail for some databases
- 2022254 – SQL Server may report 18272 error during restore operations
- 969159 – SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 Websync Internet timeouts may not show any symptoms in Replication Monitor
- 972006 – Error message when you try to batch insert data on a publisher of a merge replication in SQL Server 2008 or SQL Server 2005: “Msg 548, Level 16, State 2, Line 1. The insert failed”
- 2000228 – The distribution agent may experience high latency when you configure transactional replication with articles that are configured not to replicate changes as parameterized statements
- 2000383 – Error message when the Distribution Agent tries to apply to the initial snapshot to an Oracle 11g subscriber: “ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes”
- 2002474 – Parameterized ALTER TABLE statement to switch a partition may fail for a database that is published for transactional replication in SQL Server 2008
- 2003609 – Schema changes are repeatedly enumerated by merge agent during synchronization operation of merge replication in SQL Server.
- 2400023 – Agent message code 2812. Could not find stored procedure ‘sp_MSget_min_seqno’.
Database mirroring, Logshipping
- 2006312 – Logshipping monitor incorreclty raises error number 14420 instead of 14421 when the secondary database is out of sync.
- 978947 – A non-yielding issue may cause a database mirroring failover in SQL Server 2005 and in SQL Server 2008.
- 2002452 – The formatting of the columns is incorrect when using Excel to view csv file attachments sent from SQL Server’s Database Mail
- 2008286 – Error message when you use Database Mail after applying service pack: “System.IndexOutOfRangeException: timeout”
- 2015748 – How to troubleshoot database consistency errors reported by DBCC CHECKB.
- 960791 – Error message when you run the DBCC CHECKDB command on a computer that contains a SQL Server database: “Error 8967”
- 2002606 – OS Errors 1450 and 665 are reported for database data files.
- 962874 – In SQL Server 2005 or 2008, the DTS designer application cannot be started on a Windows Vista-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer
- 972387 – SQL Server Failover Cluster Instance is taken offline when you change the password for the service account on the non-owner node
- 2002062 – Users experience login issues to SQL Server when Logon Triggers are enabled
Server Management Studio / Visual Studio and database maintenance issues
- 983332 – You cannot open a Business Intelligence project after you upgrade the project to the format that is used by Visual Studio 2010
failover cluster issues
- 2216476 – “Value does not fall within the expected range” error when you install Clustered Analysis Services on a server that is running SQL Server 2008
- 2000403 – SQL Server 2005 cluster resources fail after a side by side installation of SQL Server 2008 on a Windows Server 2008
- 2019402 – “No mapping between account names and security IDs was done” error when adding a node to a SQL Server 2008 Failover Cluster
- 2216491 – The SQL Dumper utility cannot generate error dump files on a SQL Server 2008 failover cluster on an Advanced/Enterprise Failover Cluster install
- 2102055 – You get “Failover instance ‘MSSQLSERVER’ cluster group not found” when you try to add a new node to a single node SQL Server Failover cluster
- 231347 – SQL Server databases not supported on compressed volumes
- 945142 – The query result is corrupted or incomplete when an application uses Microsoft ODBC driver for SQL Server to query a SQL Server database
- 971249 – Microsoft ODBC drivers can return unexpected results when using parameter markers after any function in a T-SQL Statement
- 970878 – You may receive a “FCB::RemoveAlternateStreams: Operating system error <error number>” when starting up databases on an instance of SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008
- 954920 – When an application requests a result set from new SQL Server 2008 collations, you may receive an “MSG 40242” or “MSG 40205” error when the ODBC driver for SQL Server is used or an “MSG 40234” error when the SQL OLE DB provider is used
- 955280 – A Transact-SQL statement randomly fails to commit and causes data corruption in Windows Server 2003 or in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition when you use the statement to operate on a FILESTREAM column in SQL Server 2008
- 970410 – Data Collection is disabled after applying Service Pack 1 for SQL Server 2008
- 970876 – You may get “Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file Path\SSCERuntime-ENU.msi” error message when you repair an instance SQL Server 2008
- 2000471 – You may notice a continuous growth in tempdb data file size with a corresponding increase in mixed_extent_page_count after upgrading SQL server
- 2003450 – You encounter SQL Server error 17308 after you enable TDE on one of your databases in SQL Server
- 2007728 – You get “The certificate received from the remote server was issued by an untrusted certificate authority” error message when using SSL with SQL server
- 2014053 – A memory leak occurs in FDHOST.exe process in SQL Server 2008 on a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller
- 2014749 – You cannot load a thesaurus file in SQL Server, and you receive the following error message: “ERROR_INTERNAL_DB_CORRUPTION”
- 2019126 – A Data Collector collection set may fail to upload if a cache file is corrupted
- 2019779 – You may receive incorrect values when using SCOPE_IDENTITY() and @@IDENTITY
- 2270849 – Error 0x80040e97 can occur when indexing large document with integrated full-text search
- 2280126 – SQL Server 2008 full-text query may return false positivies using number with more than 9 digits as search predicate condition.
Cluster installation errors
- 953748 – Error message when you install SQL Server 2008 on a Windows Server 2008-based cluster: “The cluster either has not been verified or there are errors or failures in the verification report. Refer to KB953748 or SQL server books online”
- 973992 – The default setting is used instead of the setting that is specified in the “Prepare Failover Cluster” stage when you perform an advanced cluster installation of a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 failover cluster
- 2003488 – SQL Server failover installation fails when the setup account does not have permissions on Windows time service
- 2216461 – SQL Server 2008 setup fails to install on a Windows Server 2008-based cluster mount point
- 975951 – You receive an error message when you set up a SQL Server 2008 failover cluster on a subnet that only contains IPv6 addresses
SP / hotfix package installation problems
- 2216468 – Error message when you try to install a SQL Server 2008 cumulative update or service pack: “The patch installer has failed to update the shared features”
- 909652 – How to restore the missing Windows Installer cache files and resolve problems encountered during SQL Server update
Uninstalling previous versions / hotfix packages
- 909967 – How to uninstall an instance of SQL Server 2005 manually
- 921901 – BUG: You receive error code -2147024893 when you uninstall SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services on a computer that is running Windows Vista Beta 2 or Windows Server 2008
- 915854 – You receive an error message when you try to uninstall the second named instance of SQL Server 2005
- 955250 – Error message when you try to uninstall a SQL Server 2005 Express Edition hotfix package: “1731 The source installation package for the product  is out of sync with the client package”
- 922209 – The SQL Server 2005 Setup program does not remove all IP address cluster resources when you uninstall SQL Server 2005
- 909953 – How to uninstall SQL Server Management Studio
- 2015126 – How to Uninstall SQL Compact 3.5 after installing SQL Server 2008
- How to: Uninstall SQL Server Express
- 922670 – How to use the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel to add or remove components for stand-alone installations and clustered installations of SQL Server 2005
- 290301 – Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
MS SQL Server related KB articles:
2668489 – TFS data corruption with SQL Server 2008 & 2008 R2 Enterprise
2666213 – A TDE-enabled database may not recover in SQL Server 2008 or in SQL Server 2008 R2
309422 – How to choose antivirus software to run on computers that are running SQL Server
2028436 – Certain database operations take a very long duration to complete or encounter errors when the transaction log has numerous virtual log files
2646329 – How to troubleshoot “Msg 3041” in SQL Server
955763 – The SQL Server Agent service does not start after you upgrade from SQL Server 2008 Express or from SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services to SQL Server 2008 Developer, to SQL Server 2008 Enterprise, or to SQL Server 2008 Standard
SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB RC0
2633146 – Cumulative update package 4 for SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1
2633145 – Cumulative update package 11 for SQL Server 2008 R2
2648098 – Cumulative update package 3 for SQL Server 2008 SP3
MS SQL Server Licensing
- SQL Server 2008 Licensing
- SQL Server 2008 Licensing Frequently Asked Questions
- Download SQL 2008 Licensing Overview
- Download Licensing Quick Reference Guide
MS SQL & SharePoint Server Adminstrator 2010 – MCITP & MCTS
Any feedback will be warmly welcome because i do believe that we can learn from each other